On BOARD® is a training program preparing Chicagoans for effective board leadership within arts, cultural, and creative organizations. We equip you with the knowledge, strategies, and tools needed to effectively lead our city’s nonprofits!
Participants learn the fundamentals of nonprofit board roles and responsibilities; board-staff relations; legal and fiduciary responsibilities; and a board’s role in fundraising. Individuals who successfully complete the full program demonstrate an understanding and commitment to upholding high standards of nonprofit board governance.
As a participant you can expect to:
- Take part in leadership development training (Board Leadership Labs);
- Expand and strengthen your skillset to include strategy, influence, negotiation, conflict resolution, and creative decision-making;
- Join a dynamic network of arts, cultural, creative, and business leaders;
- Immerse yourself in Chicago’s neighborhoods and better understand the issues affecting our communities; and
- Learn how to champion to our city’s creative economy.
Who Should Participate?
Participants come from range of backgrounds and many vocational, academic, and lived experiences. Join On BOARD® if you are an:
- Individual seeking a volunteer, nonprofit board position;
- Experienced nonprofit board leader; or
- A board member anticipating your first officer position.
How It Works
On BOARD® is available as a full program (four Board Leadership Labs) or individual training sessions. Choose the option the works best for you!
Through On BOARD®, nonprofits also have the opportunity to engage with individuals seeking board leadership roles. Although the program assists organizations in identifying qualified board member prospects, placements are not guaranteed.
- Sept 14 – Arts Organization Structures & Board Responsibilities
- Oct 19 – Nonprofit Finances, Budgeting, & Tax Issues
- Nov 16 – Legal & Fiduciary Responsibilities; Non-governing Boards
- Dec 7 – Fundraising Landscape
- Feb 8 – Arts Organization Structures & Board Responsibilities
- Mar 7 – Legal & Fiduciary Responsibilities; Non-governing Boards
- Apr 4 – Nonprofit Finances, Budgeting, & Tax Issues
- May 2– Fundraising Landscape
Cost of tuition is $150 per class, per person. Individuals wishing to participate in the full program can register for all four Board Leadership Labs for $500. Advanced registration is required.
For more info, please contact On BOARD Director Noemi Garcia at firstname.lastname@example.org or 312-372-1876 x103.