On BOARD® is A&BC’s unique board governance training program focusing on the nonprofit sector’s more significant pressing issues and ethical considerations. Participants engage in six live sessions covering board service’s crucial aspects and getting leadership, financial, and negotiation skills.
Download the 2023 Program Brochure.
On BOARD® sessions are robust 90-minute online sessions carefully curated in a tailored, peer-to-peer virtual environment. Your ticket grants access to the session, learning materials, and recordings. Plus, you can invite a person of your choice to join the session.
- The investment for a single session is $50 + fees (2-for-1). Register here.
- We will ask for the second attendee’s name and email at check-out.
* Discounts are available for past and current Business Volunteers for the Arts® partners. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
** Interested in accessing recordings + materials from past sessions? Email us at email@example.com
Participants come from various backgrounds and have many vocational, academic, and lived experiences. We encourage you to join On BOARD® if you are an:
- Individual seeking a volunteer, nonprofit board position;
- Senior staff;
- Experienced nonprofit board leader; or
- A board member anticipating your first officer position.
As a participant, you can expect to:
- Take part in leadership development training (On BOARD® sessions);
- Expand and strengthen your skillset to include strategy, influence, negotiation, conflict resolution, and creative decision-making;
- Join a dynamic network of arts, cultural, creative, and business leaders;
- Learn how to champion our city’s creative economy.
- Receive recordings from sessions and supporting materials
On BOARD® is available as a full program (six On BOARD® sessions) or individual training sessions delivered online. Participants are encouraged to attend all six sessions but can also attend single sessions.
Our peer-to-peer approach encourages participants to discuss current challenges and needs around nonprofit board governance. A typical session consists of guided discussions, theoretical grounding, discussion-based activities, and time for relationship-building.
Interested in professional development opportunities for creatives? Check out our Learning Labs!
For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The 2022 On BOARD® program is supported by …
A&BC has temporarily paused the board matching component of On BOARD. If your nonprofit is seeking new board members, we encourage you to visit University of Chicago’s Chicago Alumni Board Connect, a nonprofit board-matching program that connects Chicagoland nonprofits with local UChicago‘s alumni.
The Arts & Business Council of Chicago (A&BC) reserves the right to cancel or re-schedule any training for which registrants will receive a full refund. Full refunds may be issued if a cancellation request is made within 5 business days of purchase date. No refunds are issued for cancellations within 72 hours of the training. No refunds will be issued for “no shows.”
In the event of a registered individual’s cancellation for individual trainings, A&BC will retain an administrative fee of 30% of the cost of the training.
If you cannot attend a training, you may be issued a credit equal to the value of the registration fee to be used towards a future board training. The credit must be used within one year of purchase or the credit is forfeited. This allows A&BC to plan for event capacity and keep costs affordable.