Business Volunteers for the Arts®
Business Volunteers for the Arts delivered over 30,000 hours of pro bono consulting services between 2009 and 2021. The value of their contribution, in dollars and cents:
BVA Project Example: Strategic Plan for Forward Momentum Chicago (FMC)
6 months; 4 volunteers; 235 hours, valued at $35,175. Cost to FMC- $450
FROM FMC’s 2020 November NEWSLETTER:
“The Arts & Business Council of Chicago paired us with amazing Business Volunteers for the Arts (BVA) consultants who worked hard to help us develop our new 3 year strategic plan that will take us into our 10th year. “
Business Volunteers for the Arts® (BVA) recruits skilled Chicagoans, trains them in nonprofit practice, and matches them with nonprofit 501(c)3 arts, cultural, and creative organizations in need of business, management and/or operational assistance.
Our BVA consultants are thoroughly vetted, highly-qualified individuals who have subject-matter expertise and a demonstrated commitment to the arts.
Are You Ready for a Project?
Our BVA consultants work in groups of 2-5 and lend their abilities in a variety of business-related project areas, including:
- Strategic Planning
- Communications & Marketing
- Income Generation
- Human Resources
- Business & Financial Planning
- Data Analysis
- Board Structure & Operations
- Retreat Facilitations
Time commitment is dependent on the nature of the project, with most projects lasting between 2-6 months. Arts Partners and consultants agree on an anticipated completion date–as well as outcome–prior to the project start.
BVA Projects are recommended to nonprofits that are navigating a specific challenge or organizational transition in any of the areas listed above.
If you are looking for professional development workshops in the areas of marketing, communications, research, grant writing, or project management, our Learning Labs might be a better option. If you are seeking board governance training, we encourage you to explore On BOARD®.
If you have doubts about whether or not your organization might benefit from participating in the BVA program, you can reach out to Director of Programs, Constanza Mendoza-Guerra, at email@example.com or schedule a meeting with her.
A&BC does not provide the following services: Executive Searches, IT, Website Development, Fundraising and Contributed Revenue Planning, or Legal. However, these agencies offer some of these services to nonprofit organizations at no or low cost:
Submitting a Project Proposal
When reviewing proposals, we prioritize BVA applications that:
- Primarily serve individuals and organizations that have been historically excluded from capacity-building programs.
- Leads to larger sector-wide learning
- Additionally, we take into consideration the population and geographic area(s) that your organization serves, the racial and gender composition of your organization’s leadership, and how your project fits in with the existing BVA Project portfolio as well as the other proposals submitted. Therefore, not all project proposals can be accepted. Projects may be deferred to the next round.
You can consult a sample proposal application A&BC’s team put together for prospective arts partners.
Proposal Opens: January 15, 2023
Proposal Deadline: March 15, 2023
Estimated Project Launch: May/ June 2023
Proposal Opens: May 15, 2023
Proposal Deadline: July 15, 2023
Estimated Project Launch: September/ October 2023
Proposal Opens: October 1, 2023
Proposal Deadline: December 1, 2023
Estimated Project Launch: February/ March 2024
Get Ready To Apply!
Before filling out the BVA application form, we encourage you to have a copy of:
- IRS Letter Issuing Tax-Exemption
- Declaration of General Liability Insurance
- Current or Most Recent Operating Budget
- List of Staff and Board Members
The estimated completion time is 20 – 30 minutes.
- Organizations must have proof of General Liability insurance coverage to participate in BVA.
Processing Fee (effective April 1, 2022)
Fees are based on the gross operating revenue of the nonprofit’s current budget.
Recent Art Partners Served
For more information, contact Kristin Larsen at firstname.lastname@example.org or 312-372-1876, ext. 101